EQ

How can scientists most effectively reduce the anthropogenic effects dealt to the ocean?

Friday, May 17, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship

Literal

  • Mentorship Log
  • Cabrillo Marine Aquarium–3720 Stephen M White Dr. Los Angeles, CA 90731 (310) 548-7562

Interpretive

  • The most important thing that I gained from my mentorship at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium is an abundance of knowledge on various marine animals, and I acquired certain skills throughout my time spent there. Some of the knowledge that I gained, was learning about hydromedusas, and how they are not related to jellyfish, despite their similar looks. I also learned about the various types of zooplankton, such as arthropods, rotifers, copepods, amphipods, etc. A few of the skills that I gained, are setting up simple flow tanks, and learning how to transfer fish from tank to tank. One of the coolest things I learned is how to make a swell shark fall asleep by turning it over in the water, and rubbing the side of its belly. The aquarium has prepared me to further my study of marine biology, and has given me a strong foundation.

Applied

  • Doing plankton-tows in the boat launch has helped me answer my EQ by showing me the anthropogenic effects that gasoline, and other petroleum based chemicals have on the water quality. I compared the Ph levels of the constant ocean Ph level, 8.1-8.4, to the Ph levels of the boat launch water, and there was a .6 difference in the Ph levels. This just showed me how significant the impact that we're having on the ocean is, and guided me to research different clean-up methods, and possible effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment